Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Equality

One of my favorite MASH episodes is L.I.P.'s. It's in the second season and consists of Hawkeye accomplishing two missions. First, he hooks up with the girl he wants and second, he helps a soldier marry an L.I.P. or Local Indigenous Person. The part that sets this one as a favorite starts at 22 minutes. When Hawkeye rejects the girl because of some unsavory ideas. Go ahead and watch, I'll wait.



Pretty awesome, huh?

The real point of this opening is one of the main reasons I like to watch MASH. Hawkeye sees everyone pretty much as equals (except women which he learns in later episodes). There is no reason that Kim in the above episode should not be allowed to marry an American or why Klinger shouldn't be allowed to walk around in dresses or the gay guy in another episode be allowed to continue to fight after he is outed to his unit and they beat the shit out of him.


Equality is the biggest motivator behind this blog. The idea of voting for you is one of complete equality. Representative Democracy, despite some of its wonderful advantages, is a system based entirely on inequality. Those who wish to be in power put themselves out there, spend exorbitant amounts of money to influence us and then we cast our ballets for who should rule. In the essence that each vote is equal, sure it is a descent system, but once the decision of who shall rule has been made there is a vast ocean of inequality created.

Once an official is elected and we give them our blessing they are set above us. They make the decisions. They make the rules. There are no more equal to the public that elected them than a monarch is to his subjects.

It is also in their own self interest that they create rules and laws that allow them to stay in power and usurp wealth while doing so. Why do you think we have no laws limiting how many times a senator can be elected or why they have tax payer funded health care but that it is a bad idea for the rest of us? The ones creating the rules are doing so with the sole purpose of staying in power.

We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty, and the Pursuit of Happiness. That to secure these rights, Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed;[7]
All men are created equal. And governments derive their powers from the consent of the governed. I am no longer willing to give my consent. I am no longer willing to be governed by those set above me. I declare my sovereignty. I want my handshake back.

I vote for me, will you vote for you?

No comments:

Post a Comment